Monday, March 16, 2009

The New York Times

I have been known to read The New York Times. Although I hail from upstate, there are often relevant articles, and I happened upon one from December that was relevant to daycare providers.
Keeping in mind that in spite of the current minimum wage, I still am paid $2.25 per hour (by the county/state) for providing childcare. By law, I am only allowed to provide care to two children, which means that I can earn a grand total of $4.50 per hour. The problem, according to The New York Times, is that this rate of pay, which was passed into law by the state in September of 2007, STILL isn't being followed by NYC!
I've heard for years and years that children are our most precious commodity, and stand amazed that people can justify paying so little to care for them!
I wrote an article about it for the Examiner, because I would like to stir up at least a little interest...

1 comment: